Friday, November 25, 2005

Tricksy Hobbitses!


Click for larger


This is the latest for Illustration Friday. The prompt was "Small."

And with the Lord of the Rings: Evolution sketch cards I'm working on (and beaming about), I am, of course, on a LOTR kick! ;o)

So, the first thing I thought of was a little hobbit. Then, I thought of my mental image of The Hobbit, which is the cartoon I saw as a young lad. And since the cards I'm doing have to be of Peter Jackson's movie characters, I thought this would be a good opportunity to play around with the rest of the LOTR universe.

Oh, and I took a few style and mood cues from the lovely Lilah Dahl. Actually, I didn't even think about it, they just happened. So, that goes to show you how powerful her work is. I'll have to thank her son, Jon, too (oh, great, now his head will get even bigger ;o), for helping me realize that I need to let myself be a bit more free and experimental with my art.

Thanks for stoppin' by. Come in and sit for a spell. ;o)

~Ray

9 comments:

valerie walsh said...

really great!

franhilz said...

Wonderful technique for the idea
Like it!

RAY DILLON said...

Thank you both. Glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

Your small character is delightful; especially his eyes which soak me into a pool of magic :)

RAY DILLON said...

Wow. Thank you! ;o)

~Ray

carla said...

This little fellow has a deep soul...those eyes have such a feeling of pathos. I like the clay-like texture of the paint(?), and I really like your palette...it's dark, mysterious, earthy. Well done!

Todd DeWolf said...

I really love his hands. Great detail. He has such a sad face. Really well done.

LDahl said...

Hey Ray! Great Bilbo!! I love how you make it look so easy:) You must work at the speed of light or pretty durn close, 'cause you get so much done!! I'm a huge LOTR fan and drive "you know who" crazy, now there are two of us....BWWAaaahaaaahaaa! That should help keep his head size down at manageable levels... oh who am I kidding, it won't:)))
Thank you very much for your kind words *blush* and link, I have learned so much from you... well, I just don't have the words to express how I felt when I saw that... so thank you, you made my day!
Again, LOVE your Bilbo and congrats on the cards!!

Leila Cocci said...

Exceptional job done here .